November 2016 School Council meeting
School Council Minutes
3rd November 2016
New Council Information
- The meeting was opened by Mrs Hicks and Mrs Vincent. The new council were welcomed to their new positions
- Mrs Vincent explained the need to create the roles of Chair Person and Vice Chair Person. It was agreed by the council members that Marci Walsh would be our Chair Person and Max Lawson would be the Vice Chair Person.
- Mrs Hicks told the council that special School Council badges had been ordered and that she was waiting for them to arrive. The school council are to wear their badges everyday at school so that they are easily identified and other children can approach them if needed. The Chair and Vice Chair will have purple badges; the other council members will have green ones.
- Mrs Vincent said that she would hand out the council notebooks on Friday 4th November. It was explained that these need to be brought to every meeting to jot down important points. She also told the council that she would be putting up a ‘Council Ideas Sheet’ up in each classroom so that all the children in school could write down ideas for their class councillor to bring up at the meetings.
Children in Need
- The topic of Children in Need was brought up and the council decided that they would like the school to support this charity. Mrs Vincent said that the CiN day would be Friday 18th November.
- Ruby Clayton (Y5) asked if the children could come to school in their pyjamas that day. A majority of the council felt that this was a good idea. Ezi-Kia Taylor (Y1) said that he would not like to do this and that others might not want to either. It was then decided that children could decide if they would like to come in their Pyjamas or non uniform on that day and pay £1.00 for doing so.
- It was agreed by the council that 2 competitions would run during CiN day. They wanted to have a ‘Design Something Spotty’ art competition (with a charge of 50p for an entry), and a ‘Guess How Many Spots (Skittles) are in the Jar?’ competition (with a charge or 20p per guess).
- The council asked if there could be prizes for the winners of these competitions and Mrs Vincent asked for ideas. The council agreed that the drawing competition would have 1st Prize of a sweet hamper, 2nd prize of a bar of chocolate and 3rd prize a small bag of Haribo’s. It was agreed that everyone who entered the competition would receive a sticker. The winner of the guessing competition would win a large bag of Skittles.
- Marci Walsh asked if anyone would help make posters to advertise Children in Need around school. All the councillors said they would help. It was agreed that the council would meet Mrs Vincent and Mrs Hicks in the computer suite on Tuesday 8th November at 12.30pm to create the posters.
- The Chair Person asked if there was any other business for the meeting.
- Thorogate’s Got Talent was raised and after a brief discussion it was decided that this year the school would try a Lip Sync battle but that this would take place in the summer term and would be discussed further nearer the time
- The council asked about taking part in special days like that have happened in the past where they mix with other classes and do some sort of craft. A Christmas Craft day was then mentioned and it was decided that this would be discussed more at the next meeting.
Close of Meeting
- Marci thanked the councillors for their time and closed the meeting.