Homework at Thorogate School
Homework remains a subject on contention across society in general and educational circles. For every advocate of daily 'hours' of homework there is a advocate of 'school work is for at school'. Publicity seeking headlines in the press have been very unhelpful on this matter.
The aim of homework at Thorogate School is:
- To be a window through which parents can see the school and how their child is achieving academically.
- To provide opportunities for children and parents to work together.
- To consolidate, reinforce and extend skills and understanding covered in class.
- To encourage the process towards becoming more independent learners.
- To encourage the children to take pride in their work.
The format and amount of homework will vary by group and potentially by child. It may include: reading, spellings, learning times tables, completing comprehension or maths tasks, research or project work.
Our homework policy can be downloaded below.
Please note we do not provide homework when a child has an unauthorised absent from school as an attempt to compensate for the absence.