Respect. Responsibility. Fun: whilst in pursuit of excellence.
At Thorogate School we value the role that active life styles play in child development. We believe in providing active classrooms, playgrounds and after school opportunities; whilst acknowledging that there are times when children need to be less active to work productively.
We have welcomed the Government's Sports Premium and this contributes towards Thorogate delivering a high quality PE provision via a full time PE Coach.
Physical Education: To increase standard of all children in PE.
- all classes receive 3 x 1 hr PE lessons a week (Y2 - Y6 pupils miss 1 lesson every two weeks for small group academic coaching)
- school follows a set curriculum to ensure all children participate in a variety of activities
- there is regular assessment to track progression.
Healthy Active Lifestyles: To increase activity levels at break and lunch times.
- PE Coach is a lunch time supervisor and delivers a wide range of physical activities to all children.
- Change 4 Life primary clubs target the least active pupils.
- Pupil-Playleaders are trained and resources to support structured sport activities at playtimes and lunchtimes.
Competitive School Sports: Increasing pupil's participation in extra-curricular sport.
- inter and intra school competitions for all ages.
- cluster competitions organised by a member of staff at our local secondary school (SSCO).
- External coaches running after school clubs.
Total Sports Premium for 2015 - 16: £8855
171 eligble pupils
Please view the range of photographs in the Gallery and our Facebook page, which show some of the many activities.
Impact of Sports premium so far:
- All classes have high quality PE lessons 3 x per week resulting very active pupils and the opportunity for pupils to stretch their sporting abilities.
- Teaching staff have CPD on how to teach PE effectively twice per 1/2 term.
- Increased attendance at inter-school competive sporting activities with Thorogate School pupils doing well at these events.
- Y5 pupils attending Change 4 Life training and delivering active sessions during play and dinner times.
- The percentage of pupils between Y1 & Y6 taking part in extra curricular activity in now 85%